Thursday, March 18, 2010

St Patrick's Day

Happy St Paddy's Day - 1 day late

I know most bloggers post days even weeks before a Holiday but I am just not that organized, maybe next time.

I vote that St Patrick's Day be moved to a friday or saturday, always. The day isn't that fun when it falls on a week day. To start the day we had Irish Soda bread, toasted with irish butter. Usually irish soda bread is so dry and I'm not a huge fan but this bread(from Acme) was wonderful, just like a good raisin bread. The butter at $3.99 was well worth the price(fromSuperfresh), not sure what makes it different from american butter but it sure tastes delish.


Went to the Green Parrot pub in the afternoon for a Harp and to listen to an irish band. The band was due to start at 2 but for some reason began at 3, didn't matter as they were very disappointing. Will need to find a different pub next year.

St Paddy's Day is no fun to celebrate by yourself so I invited friends over for dinner. Started the corned beef & cabbage in the am, slow cooker cooking is the best. Whipped up some green jello for the kids and bought(I'm not a baker) a few slices of cake for the adults. Made Colcannon for the first time and it was delish!! I highly recommend this recipe and I will be making it again http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dianes-Colcannon/Detail.aspx.


Made myself an apple martini, just had to have a green drink.
Also picked up some Blarney Castle cheese, very mellow flavor, would have been good with some apple slices.
My table was a bit boring so I added a green boa, not pictured. The hat & coins are from the dollar store, napkins from the grocery store. I will be on the look out for green plates & glasses this year:) We had the kids do a shamrock scavenger hunt through the house and a hunt for more green coins.


ERIN
GO
BRAUGH!

3 comments:

iheartsunnydays said...

Mmm...that apple martini look delicious! Love the bright green! Sounds like you had a fab day. Thank you for all your lovely comments - hugs 2 U!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Now an apple martini -- that appeals to me much more than Guiness on St pat's Day or any day for that matter!

Thanks for visiting That Old House! AND thanks for the info on the flea market on Rt 29 -- didn't know about that one. When is it? Weekends or weekdays?

Dang, my daughter is back at school -- I will need to find new shopping friends! :-)
Cass

Gracefully Vintage said...

Hello there, thanks for stopping by my blog, makes me totally happy when i see a new follower, or a comment. You have a great job/blog, i love parties, making goodies bags decorating for stuff like that. I always try to make mine the best(very competitve) with that stuff.. Love it. You must have so much fun... Cute Blog..
Im a Follower-look forward to seeing your pics of parties..
Karryann